|For S5 students
Dundee Dental Insight
After three successful years, Dundee Dental School are opening their doors again to potential undergraduate applicants who are hoping to gain further insight and experience into the world of DENTISTRY.
What is Dundee Dental Insight?
This unique 3 day programme gives S5 school pupils the opportunity to shadow current dentistry students within the dental hospital, gain hands on experience in the phantom head room and labs and receive talks about the application process with current students reflecting on their experiences of applying to dental school. In this current academic year the programme will be running from 1st – 3rd June 2020.
To be eligible the pupil MUST:
Be a S5 secondary school pupil studying in Scotland at the time of the programme
· Be on track to achieve the minimum entrance requirements to study dentistry at the University of Dundee which can be found at http://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/ug/dentistry/#info-entry-requirements
· Provide a suitable reference from a teacher stating why this pupil would be a good candidate for this course which should be emailed directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Show a keen interest in attending dental insight and motivation to study dentistry. The pupils will be asked the following questions on their application form in order to assess their suitability for the insight programme:
1. Why do you want to study dentistry?
2. What do you wish to gain from the dental insight programme?
How to apply
Applications will be opening on Sunday 23rd February at 6pm and will close on Sunday 1st March at 6pm. Pupils who are not successful but do meet requirements will be placed on a waiting list.
To apply, pupils must complete an application form which can be found athttps://docs.google.com/forms/d/1B5m3nZ-ByRPLcLUGzHSc2IMOKUHJqxyzvFOcr27d6pM (please note this link will not work until we open applications on the 23rd February) AND must send a reference from a teacher by the deadline stated above. References are the responsibility of the school pupil to ask their teacher to send a reference. The Dundee Dental Insight team will not contact teachers to ask them for a reference, the pupil must arrange this and ensure it arrives by the deadline. Any references arriving after Sunday 1st March will not be considered, and applications rejected (unless in cases of special circumstances)
· There is no charge for the programme itself but please note that travel and accommodation will not be provided.
· Dundee University is currently the only dental school in the UK to offer this programme so it’s not to be missed!
· Dundee University will email you all a reminder of when applications open.
If you are in S5 and are planning to study Medicine, you should apply for the opportunity noted below. Please note that the applications are available for one week only.
S5 Week Event – Applications open on 17/02/2020 for one week only
Medic Insight Week 1 – Monday 15th June – Friday 19th June 2020
Medic Insight Week 2 – Monday 22nd June – Friday 26th June 2020.
Both weeks occur various sites around Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Applications for this will open on the 17th February and will close on 23rd February. Week applications will be subject to a competitive application process and places will be allocated following marking and will not be issued on a first come first serve basis.
All updates regarding applications will be posted on our website and Facebook page – this is also where the links for applying will become available on the advertised dates.
Any S5 students interested in Medicine should apply for Medic Insight’s week long event in June – applications will be open between 17/02/2020 and 23/02/2020.
Foundation Apprenticeship Talk
You are invited to a Foundation Apprenticeship Talk to S4 and S3
on Friday 21st February
in the community lounge
08:50 Talk to S4 students
09:40 Talk to S3 students
There will be an Information session for all S3-S5 parents on Pathways and course choice on Wednesday 19th February in the Community Lounge from 6:30 – 7:00pm
Can all S3-S5 pupils complete this short survey for Mrs Sloan Acting DHT regarding an information evening for coursing.