Please see the following subject guides:
Guide to new higher (PDF, 259KB)
Guide to NAT5 (PDF, 260KB)
Guide to NAT4 (PDF, 93KB)
Drummond Community High School has always had a tradition of offering French and German, the languages that are offered to pupils in our feeder Primary schools. We have also now added the possibility of studying Spanish. We are able to teach these languages at all levels: National 4/5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
We are passionate about the need for a foreign language in a young person’s education:
- future employability benefits of being able to speak another language;
- transferable skills acquired through learning another language; and
- Increased confidence and cognitive abilities.
- We have strong links with agencies such as the Goethe Institute, Institut Français and University of Edinburgh as well as a business link with the Waldorf Astoria Caledonian Hotel, which allows pupils to visit, participate in workshops and hear first hand about the importance of languages in industries such as tourism. We also have foreign language assistants to help support pupils.
Links on the benefits of Modern Languages
- See where modern languages can take you: http://bit.ly/2fza3td
- Arsène Wenger on languages: http://bit.ly/2dwZWrB
- Top 10 reasons to study languages: http://ly/2edvUca
- Daily Telegraph “Why learn a foreign language? Benefits of bilingualism” http://ly/K1YuJz
- Scottish Government reports on language learning in Scotland: http://ly/2feAQKT
- CBI Education & Skills Survey 2016 (p35): http://ly/2fexdVm
- Education and Employers – The Economic Case for Language Learning: http://bit.ly/1uIOKEv